What do we have to worry about in eHealth? I suggest that there are five major areas of risk that must be managed.
1. Privacy Risks - the unauthorized collection, use and disclosure of personal health information
2. Security Risks - breaches of confidentiality, integrity and availability of personal health information and/or critical health information systems
3. Safety Risks - physical or mental harm to patients and health care providers (including death)
4. Project Risks - cost overruns, scope creep, unacceptable delays or failure to deliver eHealth sytems
5. Business Risks - loss of reputation, liability, refusal of user community to accept new systems (e.g. physicians). Also includes financial, human resource and technology risks.
All of these areas of risk are fair game for discussion on this blog.